Surf and Kite Courses
WELCOME TO FUERTEVENTURA
Studied Topics in our Kitesurf Course
- Security. Safety is the most important thing in every sport. Nowadays Kite is extremely safe sport especially if you know the basics when it come to the safety;
- Procedures. Our instructors will first tell you how to use every safety system there is to be found on the kite and how to react to every possible dangerous situation: if you listen and understand these couple of concepts you will never have to fear your ride;
- Meteorology. Understanding weather and the meteo forecast is essential to always being able to have fun once on the beach. Not reading the overcast properly is very common and there is always someone on the beach with a too small or too big kite. Wind direction, wind intensity and constancy are the basics; it is also important to be able to understand local winds (thermal winds) that are usually not forecasted by meteorology websites;
- Assembly and disassembly of the kite. It is super important to be able to unfold the kite in the right way depending on the wind intensity and direction. If the process is not done in the right way you will easily break your kite or be a danger to yourself or other persons. You must carefully listen the instructor as they explain carefully kiting do’s and don’ts;
- Kite control basics. Did you ever hear about the eight or infinite movement? In the first phase you will move the kite from the right down to the centre, up to the left and again to the other side. This is necessary for you to be able to understand how to move the kite in the wind window and how to contrast the different power you will feel while the kite moves;
- Self rescue.
- Bodydrag. Necessary to be able to be independent in the water. Body drag will help you to move upwind or downwind without a board on your feet;
- Kite takeoff and landing techniques.
- Upwind navigation.
Dimensions of the kite range from 17 to 4 square meters. The size of the kite depends on the strength of the wind: the kite is large, when the wind is light; it is small, when the wind is strong. This is something that may seem obvious to most of the readers: but experience shows it is not well understood.
In kitesurfing, as in everything, learning takes time. In principle, I can tell you that you will hardly learn in 2 days, but already by 5-6 days (if conditions are favourable) you might be able to glide with the board under your feet and kite in the air.
Usually once you have finished the basic course you will be able to stand on the board, even if only for a few meters. From here the next step is to manage the glide and after a few more days the windward course will finally allow you to return to the starting point and climb up wind. From this moment on, we can say that the learning phase of kitesurfing is finished, which is also the most tiring and often frustrating part. From here on the progression phase begins, which will lead you to experiment and learn new tricks, skills and manoeuvres.
If you decide to attend a kitesurf course, as suggested by us, you won’t have to buy anything at the beginning. Our Kitesurfing schools provide all the equipment needed to get started. This will allow you to get closer to the practice of this sport with minimum investment, compared to the cost of buying complete new or used equipment. At the end of the course, if you are passionate about kitesurfing, the instructor can give you some tips on which equipment is right for you, depending also on the spot you usually practice in.
Buying the equipment after attending a kitesurf course will allow you to orientate yourself much better in choosing the right gear. Trust us!
Once you have experienced the feeling of gliding over the water, you won’t want to give it up. Even if this means living permanently with an eye on the weather, the trunk of the car full of sand and the thought of the next kitetrip on your mind.